Friday, January 2, 2009

mud oven

We made a very small pizza oven out of mud at winter camp this week at JCA. I don't know if it will actually work but it was good practice for the future. Having enough natural clay in the soil is very important. The dirt at camp is very sandy and barely holds itself together so we added white clay slip to the mixture to get the right consistancy. I told the kids to make little mud "turds" out of the adobe and they got really excited about me saying that word, so I think it helped get them motivated. The mud is layered over a mound of sand to form the correct dome shape, then when it all dries out on a few days we'll scoop the sand out and the hollow shell will remain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay my habonimers loved making those mud balls lol
and they got soo dirty
thanks so much yoel :]
no im kidding great project
i hope it gets put to some good pizza making use

njira.blogspot.com said...

I just spent a few hours reading blogs of many of the volunteers in Malawi. I'm looking forward to being able to read yours! Love you and miss you so much! Mama